Located on more than 100 acres in NE Oklahoma City, the Oklahoma State Capitol is
the only capitol in the world surrounded by working oil wells. One is even named
Petunia #1, because it was drilled in the middle of a flower bed. The architecture
is Greco-Roman and the structure comprises 650 rooms and 11 acres of floor space
with murals, restored stained glass, tribal flag plaza and changing art exhibits.
The current site was chosen in 1915 and construction was completed in 1917. Construction
of a dome was completed in 2002, a feature that was included with the original design
plans of the building but never completed.
The Oklahoma Veterans Memorial is also
located on the North side of the capitol complex. Four walls depicting the scenes
of WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam wars are featured, along with a bronze statue of
"The Big Guy" who stands eight and a half feet tall on a three and a half foot pedestal.
His bronze face has the features of a Native American and he wears the gear of a
The Capitol Building is currently under renovations, please call Tourism Information Center at (405) 521-3356 ahead of a visit.
The enhanced ADA accessible east entrance is now open.
The Tourism Information Center will provide brochures for self-guided tours.
Please visit Oklahoma Travel & Tourism site for more information!